*Last Reviewed October 2023
Stewarts of Trent Bridge recognises that it has a responsibility for the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. Therefore, Stewarts is committed to reducing its environmental impact whilst trading, and to continually review its current position in order to grow sustainably and improve its environmental performance.
Nathan Barton, Director, is responsible for ensuring this policy is implemented. However, we ensure that all employees are aware of their impact and have a responsibility in their own areas to ensure the aims and objectives of this policy are met.
- Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Continually improve, reduce and monitor environmental impact.
- Incorporate environmental factors into our business decisions.
- Increase employee, customers and supplier’s environmental awareness.
Avenues of Improvement;
The following points highlight areas that we will focus upon regarding our environmental impact.
Paper and Packaging
Stewarts requires the use of (often) single use packaging to package its products correctly and efficiently. However, while the industry lacks the required avenues of change, we are constantly looking for improvement from various directions, ensuring our packaging is at least recyclable or reusable. As new environmentally conscious packaging arises, we will continue to incorporate this into future business decisions. Points of interest consist of;
- Working closely with companies such as Vegware to reduce the impact of takeaway packaging.
- Reducing packaging usage to minimal. This includes searching for new methods of packaging coffee, e.g., using large, sealed tubs that can be reused for local wholesale customers.
- Continuing to use coffee bags without aluminium or plastic in the bags or valves.
- Regular assessment of the packaging market to ensure the best available option is being utilized e.g., recyclable or biodegradable packaging where possible, especially where reducing is not an option.
- Planning to work with a local supplier to champion a fully recyclable coffee cup exchange system across Nottingham City.
- Minimising the use of paper within our office space, in addition to reusing and recycling where possible.
Energy and Water Use
Production of finished product Coffee requires the use of energy and water. Therefore, we are very conscious of our energy and water use and aim to minimise this. We aim to achieve this through;
- Ensuring all equipment is switched off when not in use.
- Consciously partnering with machine suppliers that have similar aims and objectives, e.g. those that incorporate features such as an eco-mode.
- Considering the energy and water use of any new equipment purchased.
- Heating and related resources will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- Providing company uniform made using organic cotton, reducing water consumption in production.
At Stewarts, we require to use of transportation to deliver product, attend meetings and for employee commute. We attempt to minimise our impact of travel through the following;
- Choosing to work with like-minded delivery services where possible, e.g., WeGo Couriers.
- Encouraging employees to use greener methods of travel (most employees already walk or cycle into work) – accommodate for bicycle parking.
- Reducing our use of travel via restricting meeting trips to those that are essential.
- Using local suppliers for food, labour and materials.
Alongside working to reduce indirect CO2 emissions through transportation and packaging listed above, we also want to reduce emissions produced by roastery itself. Recent investments include:
- An exhaust filter called VortX, which was fitted to the coffee roaster in Jan 2021. It uses ionised water to filter the exhaust gases and reduces CO2 and other harmful particles by 60%.
- We will involve all members of employees in the implication of this policy to ensure greater commitment and improved performance.
- We will update this policy annually, discussing changes with employees and any stakeholders.
- We will provide employees with any required environmental training.
- We will work with any suppliers and wholesale customers to improve their environmental stance.
- We support more environmentally conscious diets by offering various Vegetarian and Vegan options on our menus.